Monday, January 6, 2014

Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent and Cloth Diaper Booster!

I'm here to tell you guys about my super easy homemade powder laundry detergent! This detergent takes about $6.00 to make and it lasts our family of 3 about 2-3 months. We also cloth diaper our 2 year old daughter, so that takes 2-3 more loads of laundry every week. There are tons of different laundry detergent "recipes" so if this one doesn't work for you, you can always search for a different version. I have a few reasons as to why I make my own laundry detergent. I like that this is more natural than a standard store bought detergent, it costs way less to make your own, and this is cloth diaper safe! Of course you can use this even if you don't cloth diaper, I just wanted to have one detergent that I could use on everything. I still use regular laundry detergent on Eva's diapers because this just doesn't cut it in that department, but it works great as a booster for her diapers. This detergent has become a staple in our home and I hope you will give it a try! If you are someone who likes your clothes to come out of the wash with a heavy perfumed scent this laundry detergent is not for you. This leaves you clothes clean, scent-free, and it does all that without the majority of the nasty chemicals found in regular old store bought detergents. Another great thing about this detergent is that all of the ingredients can be used around the house for other cleaning purposes! I will be making more blog posts on my homemade cleaning supplies as well, so be on the lookout for those in the near future!

Here are the ingredients to my homemade laundry detergent...
Baking Soda
Washing Soda
Oxyclean (or store brand equivalent)



Here's a picture of how I store the detergent, this is just a Rubbermaid container and it holds 7 cups. 
I make the detergent in small batches and each batch is about 6 cups. 


Here's how I make each batch...
Combine 2 Cups Washing Soda
1 Cup Baking Soda
1 Cup Oxyclean
Mix them all together and that's it! 

Use 1-2 tablespoons per load *I actually use more like 2-4 tablespoons per load*

That's it! Super easy, affordable, and better for you and your family! You can always make this in a larger batch, just adjust the measurements accordingly. I hope you found this helpful! If you have any great tips on how you save money around your house please share it in the comments below! I would love to hear from you. :)

xoxo,

Jackie 




No comments:

Post a Comment